This project started with a Bungee Barbie activity (this one was developed by Stephanie Minor, DSBN and translated into French by me). This activity was great, as it helped students develop skills in making predictions and measuring results of trials and making modifications based on those trials.

In the Fall, students participated in the Great Canadian Shoreline clean-up as an Action to help our area watershed. They tested water samples using probes - placemat activity posted in the learning lab in French (pH, temperature, trubidity, salinity) from water samples that were collected from their trips in the summer (staff and students were asked in June of last year to collect and bring in water samples from their trips). Students located the sources of water on a class map and researched the area where the water was collected. They then analyzed their research and water sample test results to determine whether or not they would drink the water. Students then monitored their water consumption for one week and calculated their daily average. They then set a goal to reduce their water consumption and measured their consumption for the next week. Finally, they measured the difference between both weeks and calculated how much water they conserved. They reflected on the process and thought about ways to sustain this change.

In December we had a Coding week and focused on Hour of Code activities and had a school-wide coding celebration where classes buddied up to complete tasks using Lego Robots, Spero, Hour of Code activities and Scratch activities. We logged over 130 000 minutes of coding as a school in one week! I have a video that I can post, if you'd like.

In January, students investigated and researched a local water issue and participated in a letter writing campaign (focus on persuasive writing in Language) to voice their concern over the dumping of sludge in a neighbouring community. Students judged the better of the best letters and the top letter was sent to the Chair of the Labour Board at a local hearing for this issue.

In February, for fluids, students were tasked with creating a container out of 1m of Duct Tape to hold 200 mL of water. This idea was sparked by Stephanie Minor and translated by me into French. This activity allowed students to problem solve and collaborate and apply the concept of fluids taking the shape of the container.

In March, we then used a Science Buddy model with grade 3 students and planned and built Marble Mazes (activity is posted in French). Focus for grade 3 was structures and application for grade 8 was flow rate (of the marble) and systems in action. We used some of the materials provided in the kit that was given at STAO.

In April we joined forces with the highschool and had the grade 8 students go over to the highschool and created Rube Goldberg Machines with the grade 9 & 10 students. This activity allowed students to collaborate and problem solve, but more importantly to connect with their Science teacher and highschool students for next year when they go to highschool.

In May we created a Pop-Up Makerspace in the library leading small groups in themed activities once a week.

READ MORE